top of page
Karela (Bitter melon) Sabzi
- 4 big karelas chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbs green chili pepper
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tsp. oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice (helps with bitterness)
1. Chop the karela by slightly cutting off the edges and removing the seeds.
2. Add all the ingredients except onion, and oil to the karela. Mix well and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the karela. Cook for about 10-15 minutes on low flame until the moisture from the karela reduces.
4. Add chopped onions to the karela and mix. Cook covered for 10-15 more minutes, until the karela and onions have changed color.
5. Serve and enjoy with roti.
bottom of page