top of page
Sopa de Fideo
- 8-ounce package of “fideo” noodles thin spaghetti, vermicelli, or angel hair pasta work well
- 2 plum tomatoes or Roma tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ medium white onion
- ½ tsp. Mexican oregano optional to add to broth
- 4 limes
- 1 ripe avocado sliced thin optional for garnish
- Mexican sour cream (optional but highly recommended for garnish)
- 8 cups homemade chicken broth or veggie broth
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
- Salt to taste about 1 tsp. will be needed depending on the chicken broth you use
1. Cut the tomatoes in half and remove the seeds. Puree the tomatoes, onion, and garlic and set aside.
2. Preheat 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil to medium-hot. Add the noodles and stir to coat with oil. Continue - stirring until the noodles have started to brown.
3. Strain the pureed tomatoes, onion, and garlic into the noodles. Notice the color of the noodles. Some of them should be very brown. The browned noodles add depth of flavor to the soup.
4. Add the chicken broth and stir.
5. Bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Check the salt and adjust to taste before serving.
bottom of page